Meditation for beginners- The awesome guide
Welcome dear peace seekers!
You have landed here in the ‘Meditation for Beginners guide’, for the reason you want a tranquil mind and to reach a higher level of awareness. And this is the very purpose of meditation, to focus and to quiet your mind hence reaching a higher level of awareness with inner calm. Meditation is an ancient practice having its roots in India. Researches are going on to discover all of its benefits. Neurologists have found that regular meditation actually improves your brain and helps to control emotions, enhance concentration, reduce stress and anxiety, and makes you more connected and mindful.
The process of meditation may appear challenging at the beginning, but by learning its fundamentals, you can navigate towards the path of enlightenment and bliss. With regular and even short meditation practice, you’ll be able to achieve a sense of tranquillity and peace of mind irrespective of your present physical and mental status.
“One of the greatest benefits of starting meditation on a regular basis is that we not only have peace in our own homes but also contribute to the peace of the world. Throughout the world, people are praying for peace. But, as the expression goes, charity begins at home. World peace can only become a reality when each of us individually has peace in our own circles. If we bring peace into our individual spheres, the effect will be cumulative, and it will contribute to world peace.”
Disclosure: Some of the links here are affiliate links. That said if you click and make a purchase, I will earn a little without costing you a dime. Thanks for your decision!
Getting Started with Meditation
1. Choose a peaceful corner
Meditation should be practiced in a peaceful and well-ventilated corner of the house or in the garden. A tranquil environment will enable you to focus completely and avoid external distractions. So find a place where you can sit uninterrupted and be devoted completely to your meditation practice.
2. Wear comfortable attire
Principally, the goal of meditation is to calm the mind. You don’t want to feel physically uncomfortable due to tight and suffocating clothing. So wear loose cloths preferably made from the best breather quality fabric such as cotton and linen.
Completely avoid polyesters or any other artificial one during your meditation practice. You can wear woolens in cool weather. The sensation of cold may consume your thoughts. Similarly, a too hot place is also not good for the practice. Initially, temperature plays an important role in your stability. Gradually you learn to adjust with discomfort caused by temperature variations.
In case you are doing meditation at your workplace, during Office Yoga session then you can consider loosening of your clothes and take off your shoes.
3. Discover a comfortable position
It is very important to be comfortable while you meditate, so find the best position to be seated. Traditionally, meditation is accomplished by sitting on a cushion on the ground in either a lotus pose or half-lotus pose and your hands in some mudra. Initially, the lotus pose can be hard to achieve if you lack flexibility in your legs, hips, and lower back. You want to find a posture that allows you to sit with a balanced and upright posture.
You might be thinking that you have to sit in the full lotus pose to meditate. The fact is that you can meditate in any position as long as you feel comfortable. Just to keep in mind, there are some important guidelines when you’re preparing to sit for meditation.
RELATED: HOW YOGA AND MEDITATION HELP TO BALANCE YOUR BODY CHAKRA
- The most important thing is simply to sit up straight, either on the floor or on a cushion or in a chair (Check for MEDITATION CHAIRS). Thumb rule is to keep your spine straight. A straight spine enables you to feel alert and energetic always!
- It is much easier to sit for longer when your spine is stacked properly, not hunched. A hunched posture obstructs the flow of oxygen and energy. You may feel tired and find your back and neck in pain!
- You can take support and lean against a wall or piece of a heavy object such as furniture for support to encourage your vertebrae to be stacked.
- Once seated, make your pelvis tilted forward enough to center your spine over your “*sit bones”, the two bones in your butts that bear your weight when seated. To tilt your pelvis into the right position, sit on the forward edge of a thick cushion.
*Sit Bones– The ischial tuberosity (or tuberosity of the ischium, tuber ischiadicum), also known informally as the sit bones, or as a pair the sitting bones is a large swelling posterior on the superior ramus of the ischium. It marks the lateral boundary of the pelvic outlet.
4. Do your Yoga before Meditation Session
Maybe I should keep this at number 1 point. Meditation involves sitting in one place for a certain period of time. So it is always advised to perform at least some of the Beginners Yoga Poses before your meditation session and release any tension or tightness in your legs, hips, back, and shoulder. This small yoga session will prepare both- your body and mind for meditation. Yoga helps to align your body and brain and elevates to focus better and easier.
5. Close your eyes.
You can meditate with the eyes open or closed. As a beginner, it’s better to try meditating with closed eyes to stop visual stimuli to the brain.
When you become adapted to your meditation practice, try practicing with your eyes open. Open eyes meditation will help you to not doze off during your practice. Keep your gaze soft and eyelids half open, as if you are looking to your nose tips.
6. Set the time duration for your meditation practice
From day one, you should decide the duration of your session. As a beginner, you can start by doing as little as 10 minutes once a day. Gradually, when you attain familiarity, ease, and interest, increase your time- say- 20-minute sessions twice per day.
It’s a good practice to meditate at the same time each day—it may be 10 minutes just before you start your day or during midday and even before going to bed. Once you have decided on the appropriate time slot, just stick with it. Never ever give up just because you feel like it’s not going the way you thought. Like any other habit, meditation too happens step by step. Even a little devotion to this practice is going to be more fruitful than you thought. So putting up a timeslot aside, every day is the key to achieve successful meditation.
You can set up a gentle alarm to remind your meditation time and also for the when your time is up.
–>Boost Your Meditation Time Step by Step
Through Meditation we can tap into the power of our soul, says the renowned Saint Rajinder Singh Ji. Many people live without realizing its power. Most valuable treasures of life such as knowledge, love, fearlessness, connectedness, and bliss reside within our deepest self. Our soul is the source of tremendous wisdom, love, and power, yet we remain ignorant of it because we are currently lost in the worldly illusion. Despite our condition, the empowered soul exists within. It is our true nature, and to reclaim it, we need to develop our meditation practice. We cannot expect to achieve our goal in the twinkling of an eye. There is a process involved to accomplish a project successfully.
For example, when our house needs repair, we wait for a favorable weather condition, availability of manpower, raw material, etc. Once we start with it we realize that the project is taking more time than we thought. It progresses at its own pace. In spite of all our efforts, we cannot complete it as we expected. But with sustained efforts, it reaches its point of completion one day. It gives us immense pleasure to see the house of our dream. Same you can imagine with your meditation practice. You can achieve our spiritual goals with sustained efforts and attain the pleasure of living a stress-free life.
Our daily meditation practice brings us to a deeper state of consciousness. We feel less boring in sitting idle and doing nothing. Our mind wanders less and we really start enjoying our short session.
You can start with 5 minutes of meditation on the first day. Next day increase it by 2 minutes, and 2 more minutes the next day. This minute by minute increase in the everyday session will enable your practice to be longer, sustained and mindful and you will be able to sit longer without any feeling of boredom.
When your level of concentration deepens, you begin to discover your own potential. This profound transformation starts enriching all the areas of your life i.e. the physical, mental and emotional health; relationship with dear ones and with yourself. You start living your life – peacefully and filled with utter happiness and joy. This world feels a better place to live now!
RELATED: HOW CHANTING GAYATRI MANTRA CAN BENEFIT YOUR BRAIN
Feel -Secure Meditation Script
**This meditation script is for the readers of this blog. Reproducing it in any form is subject to the copyright. **
This is a beautiful visualization script. You can customize it as per your personal use.
“Think of a place that is sacred and secure. It can either be a place you’ve visited before, a place you’ve seen but never been to or a place that exists only in your imagination.
Find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed. Get into a seated position, with your back against your chair or a wall ( in case you are on a mat), your hands resting on your lap. You are safe and happy and will always be so!
Close your eyes, and start breathing deeply yet gradually.
- Inhale up to 5; Pause; Exhale through your mouth count to 6; let all the worries go away.
- Inhale up to 6; Pause; Exhale through your mouth count to 7; let all the stress fading away.
- Inhale up to 7; Pause; Exhale through your mouth count to 8; create a peaceful surrounding around you.
Just imagine you are sitting on a grass-bed under a tree in a beautiful forest. Start visualizing your surroundings. There is an abundance of colors- green, pink, red, yellow, purple in all hues –light and dark. The Sun is rising so the sky is bearing multicolor patterns kind of a rainbow.
Birds are chirping and creating a piece of distinct music and signaling that your forest is safe.
There is a waterfall just in front of you. Hear the twinkling sound of water. Feel the drizzle on your face. Try to absorb the coolness and smell of wet mud. Take a deeper breath to inhale most of the fresh aroma. The bottom of this waterfall comprises a river flowing far long. River water is transparent blue and sweet in taste. It flows curvy yet gently. A flock of the white swan is swimming on the river surface. They are chirping happily. The river has lotus flowers pink and white. Butterflies are fluttering on each flower.
You continue to breathe deeply. The sharp scent of pine is stimulating your senses. You have a sweet sensation of so many gentle aromas that surround you in your secure heaven. You visualize roaming around that beautiful landscape leaving your physical existence still yet. Visualize yourself wandering here- barefoot on the soft green grass. Which is stimulating enough to clear your mind- off all the “worldly issues causing you worries and unhappiness”. You continue to breathe deeper and calmer. You can remain there fearless as this is your own piece of heaven. Everything here is eternal!”
Slowly and gradually try to come back to your real world, but with a promise – to return the next day at the same time, with the same curiosity, enthusiasm, and contentment.
- Pay attention to your breath and follow it while inhaling and exhaling.
- Clean your thoughts
- Go for chanting some inspiring words or a mantra, preferably OM.
- Concentrate on simple visuals and beautiful imagery.
- Scan your body ( get Body Scanning- The Ultimate Script once you subscribe).
- Try heart chakra meditation, walking meditation. There are lots of apps available for each kind of meditation. Explore them!
- Practice Meditation in Everyday Life-
- Start practicing mindfulness regularly. Meditation need not be limited to your short practice sessions only. Mindfulness is something to be practiced throughout the day.
- Hence in case, you feel stressed, try to take a few seconds to focus completely on your breathing and get rid of any negative thought or emotion.
- Mindfulness must be practiced while taking your meals. Never eat food when you are angry or sad. It affects the secretion of the digestive juices and enzymes, further influencing the overall Digestion Process. Just become aware of the food – what and how much you are eating. Notice the smell and texture of your food, hence chew it better. Mindful eating alone can bring great positive changes in your overall lifestyle,
- Whatever you do in your daily life—whether it’s working at your office or shopping in a mall or in a meeting, just be aware of your thoughts and movements; try to be here always. Doing this is- living your life meaningful and mindful!!
- Acquire the habits of living a healthy lifestyle
- A healthy lifestyle can contribute to more effective and beneficial meditation. Always eat healthy food, do yoga and take a sound and relaxing sleep. If you can avoid excessive use of smartphone and take several hours off from the technology you can think and focus better.
Most important one– stay away from the addiction of any kind as it can numb your mind and prevent you from achieving the very goal of successful meditation.
9. Understand that meditation is a journey
- Meditation is a journey similar to a Marathon Race. Every step along the track/path of enlightenment brings you closer to the finish point/summit.
- So, you shouldn’t be too worried about the quality of the meditation. As soon as you start feeling calmer, happier, focused, compassionate and enlightened –you are the “Meditation Perfect”.
After all the “Aim Meditation” is to calm the mind and reach the highest level of awareness.
Thanks for reading till the end. I hope you like this meditation session with me. Let me know how it went- in the contact form below. Please do subscribe for more of the wonderful Meditation Scripts, Body- Scan audio scripts, Beautiful visuals videos for free download.
One last thing- Please don’t forget to share using social media share buttons provided at the bottom. This is really helpful for the growth of this blog! Thanks for being a wonderful and kind reader!
May like to read:
Yoga For Beginners: 2 Steps 2 Shine On The International Yoga Day
Thanks for the audio play option. That sounds too realistic and feels relaxing.
Thanks, Rahul Dubey. Keep visiting for more helpful inside like this:-)
That is the exact solution to my problem. Thanks for helping in the most practical and easy way. Health is wealth but we forget this phrase while earning and ignore our health. can you pls tell me how much time gap is required after having break tea.
Thanks, dear for your encouraging words! I’m here to help you.
Thanks for Sharing your nice and informative words on meditation. Above meditation tips you have share are really fabulous and well descriptive helps beginners to start meditation in effective way. Above article not only meditation techniques but also importance of meditation to body. Informative article …..Thanks again for your kind and informative words.
Thanks Grace and welcome to the world of mindfulness!Ask anything about yoga, meditation, and being most productive.
Reading the script was relaxing in itself.
Thanks, Dr. Neelam for taking time to read the post and liking the script. You will get an audio script soon in case you have subscribed.