Yogarsutra has come up with the simple yet effective Yoga Kriyas For Diabetes Prevention. These yoga postures and kriyas will help to stimulate your the pancreas- the insulin-producing gland.
Most importantly, doing this yoga sequence for 30 minutes each day, 5 times a week, will help you to manage your stress and anxiety; is also highly effective for weight loss, specifically, that extra fat around the belly.
Before these yoga kriyas and asanas, I have accomplished this post with many useful facts on diabetes, you need to know. Many useful links are also there.
Having awareness of a disease is half the battle won
So keep reading√-:)
Buttt… First…Diabetes a.k.a. The Silent Killer
Have you ever come across someone who was a healthy-looking handsome person, when you met last time?
Are you surprised how all of sudden the person has grown up 5 years older?
If you can muster up enough courage to ask the reason behind this sudden physical deterioration, 9% chances are that the the person is suffering from high blood sugar and related complications.
According to statistics, around 9.3 percent of the global adult population suffered from diabetes in 2019 and by the year 2045, this number is expected to rise to almost 11 percent.
Diabetes, or diabetes mellitus, refers to a group of metabolic disorders that result in chronic high blood sugar levels
According to medical experts, a person can have type 2 diabetes for years without knowing it. It can slowly and silently start damaging your organs and the organ systems.
You should pay close attention to red flags such as increased urination, increased thirst, blurry vision, slow healing sores, or frequent infections.
Can You Cure Diabetes By Yoga
Yoga offers numerous benefits for people with diabetes.
Full of restrictions and incurable disease, diabetes can be controlled by yoga if it’s practiced regularly and complemented by a proper diet.
Kriyas like Kapalbhati and Pranayama have proven to be excellent in controlling diabetes.
So, if you are suffering from high-level sugar, should practice these Kriyas for 15 to 30 minutes first thing in the morning.
Further, Yoga is considered to be a promising, cost-effective option in the treatment and prevention of diabetes.
Several studies suggesting that yoga and other mind-body therapies can reduce stress-related hyperglycemia and have a positive effect on blood glucose control.
Stress management is one of the keys to diabetes treatment
When we’re stressed, our blood sugar levels increase, this in turn, may increase the chances of serious complications such as heart disease.
The Advantages Of Yoga For The People With Diabetes- The Anatomy
Rejuvenating pancreatic cells
Yoga postures are helpful to aid relaxation and stretch the pancreas, which can stimulate the production of insulin-producing beta cells.
The main function of a beta cell is to produce and secrete insulin – the hormone responsible for regulating levels of glucose in the blood.
Exercising The Muscles
Yoga increases glucose uptake by muscular cells, which in turn, helps to lower blood sugar levels, improve circulation and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, including Heart attack and stroke.
Promoting Weight Loss
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) encourages people to get at least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity per week.
Regular yoga can reduce weight and improve weight control, both of which are essential for protecting against conditions such as type 2 diabetes, cancer, and heart disease, as well as diabetes management.
Improving Your Mental Health
Regular yoga practice can help to improve your focus and concentration and accomplish with an appropriate mindset to dealing with diabetes.
Parts Of The Body That Diabetes Can Affect Severely
Diabetes is not just one disease. It hides a plethora of complications and illnesses within.
Not very surprising, known as the silent killer.
In long-term, diabetes can affect the following body parts severely-
- heart and blood vessels.
Diabetes and Your Eating Habits
If you have diabetes it’s important to include a wide variety of nutritious and healthy foods in your diet and to avoid snacking on sugary foods because you don’t want to stress your already stressed body.
Enjoy a variety of foods from each food group – be sure to include foods high in fiber and low in fat and reduce your salt intake.
You may want to consult with a dietitian to check your current eating habits and find an appropriate guide about food choices and potion control.
Check Your Alcohol Intake
If you can’t do without alcohol, try to not have more than two standard drinks per day.
According to better health, If you are pregnant or considering pregnancy or are breastfeeding, then zero alcohol intake is recommended
Seven foods That Can Help Keep Your Blood Sugar In Check
- Raw, Cooked, or Roasted Vegetables. These add nutrients, color, flavor, and texture to a meal.
- Greens and leafy vegetables
- Flavorful, sugar-free, Low-calorie Drinks
- Citrus Fruits- oranges and lemons
- Whole-grain, Higher-fiber Foods
- A Little healthy Fat
Best Yoga Kriyas For Diabetes Prevention
Yogarsutra provides the content of general nature that is designed for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
P.S.- Download my free Yoga Postures Library for each pose description (PW- ASANALAYA)
Today’s intention is, my body is my home I keep my homes sacred.
Let’s start with Kapalbhati Kriya.
- Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position.
- Take a deep breath in.
- Try one forceful exhale.
- We shall repeat this forced exhale and passive inhale throughout the Kriya.
- Place one hand on the belly to feel the pressure of the forceful exhaling process
- Go for two sets, 25 each, to begin with.
- That means a total of the 50 round-off inhale and exhale.
“Never do kapalbhati cleansing kriya, if you are tired, agitated, pregnant, or with some serious stomach-related issues”.
- Inhale an exhalel forcefully, let your stomach push in. Count for 25.
- Pause And relax.
- Start II set for 25 counts.
With practice, you can increase the number of counts and also the number of sets you can perform in one go comfortably.
- Sit in Vajrasana.
- Form two fists ✊ with the help of your 10 fingers.
- Let both the thumbs curl inside the fists.
- Place the fists in the area between your thighs and lower abdomen.
- Inhale deeply, and exhale slowly to bend forward.
- Sense the pressure exerted by your fists in your abdominal area.
- Repeat for 5 x.
- Release and relax your fingers few times.
- Open your knees and let both the toes touch together.
- Inhale and raise both the hands an exit to come on the ground.
- Relax and take 5 deep breaths here.
( with fingers clasped on the back)
- From the child’s pose come on your belly.
- Place your elbows below the shoulders and the fingers facing forward.
- Open your chest for baby cobra.
- Spread your hands and gradually take them behind your back.
- Clasp your fingers and open a bit more by pressing your belly area against the ground…
- Bring your focus into the belly area.
- Keep the shoulders away from the ears.
- You can stay here for few breaths.
- Sit in Dandasana.
- Open both the legs in front of you.
- Widen them apart as much as you can.
- Inhale, while exhaling, take your right twist.
- Bend your right leg to deepen into the twist.
- Gaze through your right shoulders.
- Stay for three breaths.
- Take your twist left.
- Gaze through your left shoulder.
- Bend your left leg to deepen the twist.
- Bend both the knees to bring the sole of the feet together.
- Bring your feet closer to the pelvis.
- Bring your knees into the motion while holding your toes by wrapping the fingers around them
- Do it a minimum of 20 times, gradually increase the count.
Rock and Roll motions
- Sit once again in Dandasana.
- Clasp all the fingers in front of you.
- Firming the base of your spine into the ground, take clockwise motion, to and fro.
- Notice the churning of your internal organs including the pancreas.
- Continue deep breathing.
- Minimum of 10 times each direction.
- Now, anticlockwise
Diabetes weakens and puts a lot of pressure on our Joints, especially making our knees sensitive and weak.
These knee warm-up exercises will lubricate and strengthen the knee joints.
- Start with 10 times each side, gradually increase the count.
- Stand up tall.
- Bend forward and place both the hands just above the knees.
- Slightly bend the knees and do clockwise Rotations first,
- …and, anticlockwise thereafter.
- Keep breathing
Standing Waist Rotations
- Stand up tall.
- Place both the hands above the hips.
- Slightly bend from your hips joints.
- Repeat the process as you did with your knees in a clockwise and anticlockwise direction.
This Kriya is very helpful in shedding extra weight around your waist, hips, and thighs.
In the situations when you don’t have much time, you can go for this single Kriya for 10 to 15 minutes.
That would be sufficiently good for your fight with the diabetes.
- Lie down on your back.
- Open your legs, inhale, and take both the arms above your head.
- Exhale, squeeze your belly, and come forward to wrap your arms around the knees.
- Inhale and come on the ground.
- Repeat for 10.
- Relax… with deep breaths.
Lyine spinal Twists
Twists are wonderful for toning our abs and improve the process of metabolism.
- Open both the arms opposite to each other.
- Bend your knees at 90 degrees so that shins are parallel to the ground.
- Exhale to take a right spinal twist.
- Inhale and come to the center.
- Excel for the left spinal twist.
- Count for 10.
- Come to the center, open your legs, rest your arms beside the body.
- Take a full breath in and exhale from the mouth ha…
- Two more Times Yogis.
- Rest in savasana.
Watch The Video – Yoga Kriyas For Diabetes Prevention
Wrapping up- Yoga Kriyas For Diabetes Prevention
To sum up the above discussion,
The sugar level in the blood increases because of the absence or lack of the hormone insulin. Insulin is secreted from an endocrine gland in our body called the pancreas.
The job of insulin is to convert the sugar or carbohydrates we consume, into the glucose. This glucose is then absorbed by the blood cells to provide nutrition to our entire body.
In the absence of the hormone insulin, the sugar is not converted to the glucose and hence cannot be utilized by our body.
this increase in sugar level, in turn, causes multiple harms to our body parts such as the eyes, kidneys, nerves, heart, blood vessels,gums to name a few.
And an inappropriate body mass index (BMI) and Stress and anxiety can worsen the diabetes symptoms.
It becomes really crucial doing the above yoga kriyas for diabetes prevention, for 30 minutes each day, 5 times a week to optimise your health and wellness.
It may also help you reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke, reduce cardiovascular risk factors, and promote overall health.
I am grateful for your yoga practice with me and I am thankful to you for watching the video- yoga for diabetes.
.And if you haven’t yet subscribed to my channel, please do that, to promote free and helpful yoga classes on YouTube.
I would want to have you here, again and again…
Namaste 🙏 Yogis!