Yoga For Beginners Series-3: The Cat And Cow Pose
Hi! I am really happy to see you in the yoga for beginners series-3. I hope you already been to yoga for beginners series-2. In case you missed, find it here. You will take just “2 steps transition” from the downward facing dog to the cat and cow pose.
While passing through the previous series, you must have observed that the motivation behind writing this series was the upcoming “The International Day Of Yoga”. So before shifting to the next yoga poses viz-The Cat And Cow Pose, let’s see some highlights of the Day.
WORLD YOGA DAY CELEBRATION
The celebration of the event International day of yoga is supported by various global leaders. It is celebrated by the people of more than 170 countries including USA, China, Canada, etc.
The day is celebrated on the international level by organizing the activities like yoga training campus, yoga competitions and so many activities to enhance the awareness about yoga benefits among common public all over the world.
The world yoga day is celebrated to let people know that regular yoga practice leads to the better mental, physical and intellectual health. It positively changes the lifestyle of the people and increases the level of well-being.
All members, observer states, United Nations system organizations, other international organizations, regional organizations, civil society, governmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, and individuals get together to celebrate the International Day of Yoga in a suitable manner according to the national priorities to raise the awareness about yoga.
Welcome! to the yoga for beginners series-3
In case you missed the series-1, where the prayer pose and the raised arm pose were discussed, you can find Here.
The hand to foot Pose and the downward facing dog pose were discussed in series-2, you can click to open Here.
For the next pose, you will take an easy transition from the downward facing dog pose to the cat pose in very simple steps!
The cat and cow pose (Marjaryasana) is an Excellent way to warm up and strengthen your spine. This is a breath-synchronized dynamic pose making flow from Cow Tilt to Cat Stretch. It has many powerful health benefits for the mind, body, and soul.
Your Fifth Yoga Pose-The Cow Pose
- Take transition from downward-facing dog pose to table-top pose, with shoulders over the wrists and hips over the knees.
- Next place weight evenly through the hands, legs and fingers
- Keep your spine soft for Cow Tilt; start to inhale expanding the belly toward the floor.
- Lift the gaze toward the third eye.
- Send energy from the tailbone towards the neck as they tilt toward the sky.
Your Sixth Yoga Pose- The Cat Pose
How to Do the cat pose
- Start to exhale and push the belly button toward the spine and continue to lift towards the heart.
- Hollow out the tailbone, make the chin to rest on the chest, and gaze toward the nose.
- Complete 5-6 rounds of dynamic cat and cow pose or as many as you find comfortable doing.
- Initiate movement from the tailbone and feel the energy flowing through the spine, neck, and head to create an ever dynamic movement.
Conclusion- The Cat and Cow Pose
Hence the cat and cow pose is a combination of two poses, the cat pose and the cow pose. It prepares us for most activities like a warm-up session does. It does wonder in relieving lower back pain. This pose strengthens our bones also works well for neck and shoulder pain.
It is recommended for the prevention of severe ailments like osteoporosis and osteopenia, arthritis or stiffness of the hips and spine.
However, if you are already suffering from any kind of bone-related disease please consult your doctor first. Researchers reveal that forward bends may harm the weak bones further.
So yoga poses involving a forward curvature should be avoided. A backward curvature is found to be safe and rewarding.