This yoga sequence for strong legs and knees is specifically designed for strengthening your legs, improving mobility, and alleviating the knee joints pain.
Leg Defining Moments In Life
As human babies, we can’t use our legs right from the time we are born. It takes deliberate efforts and around an year to walk on one’s soles independently.
And, that is a precious moment!
Life goes on thereafter. From the school playground to the college classrooms, we remain anchored by our legs.
And one day life demands “Paddle Own Canoe” AKA “Steer Your Own Boat” to become financially independent.
And, that is a precious moment too!
But when this happens, we observe a huge life-shift.
From a child who runs and bicycles – to – an adult who drives and sits in front of a monitor all day long!
And, this is that precious moment when we start losing our body and bones strength.
“Firstly the legs”.
One more outcome of our sedentary lifestyle!
A Pair Of Legs- The Humans’ USP
Legs Are Unique because they distinguish us from other species.
Widely speaking, we would have been a perfect match with our other earthy-counterparts vis a vis the eyes, the ears, the nose, the mouth, the stomach…
These are our straight legs which distinguish us from the rest.
We are provided with a unique set of parallel limbs. Research shows that our brains developed at a much faster pace when we started in a straight posture, unlike other four-legged animals.
Our legs provide a strong basis for survival. From locomotion to recreational activities like dancing, playing and all other sports activities require a set of strong legs. Legs also support us and bear our entire body mass. With all these reasons and numerous others, having healthy legs is as important as having a healthy heart, a healthy brain, or other body parts and organ systems.
To keep our limbs Strong, we need to keep them moving by exercising and keep nourishing them with vital nutrients.
How Can Yoga Change Your Legs For Better
There are a number of yoga poses and stretches that target all parts of your lower body, including: glutes, hip flexors, quads, adductors, abductors, hamstrings, calves and Achilles tendons.
So, first let’s have a look for a few wonderful food items that will work specially on your legs, joint strength and the entire body. Then we shall dive into the yoga sequence for strong legs and knees joints.
Foods you must eat for strong legs and knees joints
According to the Cleveland clinic, following diets and foods may help you with most of the joint pain and a sustainable bone health.
If you doubt what a Mediterranean diet consist of, have a look-
- Mostly fruits, vegetables, grains, olive oil and nuts.
- Some fish and poultry — and drink some wine with meals.
- Minimal dairy products, red meat, processed meats and sweets.
Such as olive oil and fish oil ( due to the presence of omega 3 fatty acids)
A 2008 Australian study is one of many that showed fish oil reduced joint pain, increased cardiovascular health and reduced the need for NSAID (Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs).
Cruciferous vegetables, such as cauliflower, cabbage, bok choy, broccoli kale, mustard leaves and similar leafy vegetables.
These vegetables block an enzyme that causes joint pain and inflammation. In addition to aiding arthritis patients, it may be helpful for athletes who put a lot of pressure on their joints.
Spices and Herbs
Turmeric and ginger are spices well known for their anti-inflammatory benefit. Often used in Indian cuisine, for a healthy option for color, texture, and aroma.
Turmeric is also used in traditional Asian medicine for its anti-inflammatory properties.
A 2006 Arizona study showed promising results, linking turmeric to the prevention of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis.
You can add turmeric and ginger to teas, smoothies, eggs, or sauces for an anti-inflammatory punch.
Nuts And Seeds
Nuts. Almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, pistachios and walnuts contain high amounts of fiber, calcium, magnesium, zinc, Vitamin E and Omega-3 fats which all have anti-inflammatory effects.
Garlic and Onions
These pungent vegetables contain anti-inflammatory chemicals that have shown to relieve some forms of arthritic pain. As an added bonus, they are also known for their immunity-boosting properties.
This mild drink contains a natural antioxidant called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG).
This ingredient has been shown to stop the production of certain inflammatory chemicals in the body, including those involved in arthritis.
Recent studies also suggest that the same component may prevent cartilage from breaking down, helping to preserve joints longer.
Foods You Should Mostly Avoid For Healthy Bones And Joints
Sugars and refined grains, including white rice, pasta and white bread, are the worst food culprits in contributing joint inflammation.
Surprisingly, inclusion of moderate amounts of alcohol with the Mediterranean diet is helpful in joint pain.
Listen to your body, and if you don’t feel right, please stop. Yoga poses shouldn’t cause unusual-sharp pain. Always be careful to avoid yoga injuries. Please read my full disclaimer.
Yoga Sequence For Strong Legs And Knees
You may require two yoga blocks and one soft blanket. Grab them if you have them nearby or use a cushion, bolster, or pillow…
Now grab some water and unroll your Yoga Mat, let’s start standing in Mountain pose.
Our today’s intention is…
I am strong…
💮Download My Yoga Postures Library for complete yoga postures tutorials💮👇
PASSWORD for yoga postures library- ASANALAYA
- Stand up tall.
- Press from all the corners of your feet.
- Get a feel of heaviness in your heels, and toes on the ground.
- Join your hands together in front of your Heart Centre.
- Take five deep breaths here.
- Lift your ankles and the arches of your feet. …
- Draw the top of your thighs up and back, engaging the quadriceps.
Mountain pose strengthens the thighs, knees and ankles, and tones the abdomen and glutes. Regular Practicing Mountain pose can help to improve posture, reduce flat feet, relieve sciatica,
- Take a deep breath in and raise both hands up and above your head.
- Breath out and fold from the crease of your hips.
- Try not to stress your knee joints.
- Used two yoga blocks on either side of the legs.
Uttanasana calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression.
Stimulates the liver and kidneys.
Stretches the hamstrings, calves, and hips.
Strengthens the thighs and knees.
- Inhale to rise and sit low up to a squatting position and rise halfway in chair pose, aka, Utkatasana.
- Three breaths here.
- Then repeat.
Utkatasana or Chair pose strengthens the entire legs from the glutes and thighs to the calves and ankles.
Downward Facing Dog Pose
- In the forward fold walk your hands away from the feet.
- Stretch your tailbone and hips up towards the sky.
- Press your Palms and legs on the ground to adho mukha svanasana.
- Spend some time here. Walk your legs, open your knees and hips joints.
Downward Facing Dog Pose stretches the Achilles, calves, hamstrings and glutes.
Cat And Cow Posture
- Bring your knees on the mat. To come on all four.
- Use a blanket beneath your knees.
- Inhale open for cow pose, head and tail bone up, hollow your back.
- Exhale, round your back, lift your knees and come to download facing dog pose.
- Take a few Downward facing dog to cat and cow transitions.
- Working out on your legs, knees, and thighs.
- The more of your body parts are put to work, the stronger they become.
- So keep pushing yourself.
- And keep breathing…
Leg Kicks In Cat And Cow Posture
- Come to neutral, on all four.
- Lift your right leg off the ground, kick back and bring forward towards your nose.
- Make the motions balanced and homogeneous…
- Open your hips joints a bit more and kick in a diagonal direction.
- Breathe, breathe and breathe…
- Same same on the other side.
This exercise makes your legs flexible and strong along with massaging your abdominal organs which helps with digestion, blood circulation, and lymph fluid circulation, benefitting your overall organ health
Encourages coordination of movement throughout your entire spine.
- Come to downward-facing dog pose.
- Inhale, raise your right leg,
- Exhale, plant your right feet between both hands and come to a low lunge position.
- Your right knee is aligned with your right ankle.
- Left leg behind the right leg at least a two feet distance.
- Both hands join together overhead.
- Flex your right knee to come into a triangle pose.
- Make some organic movements here.
- You have the option to use two yoga blocks and make your transitions easy to do.
- Remove the blocks, lift your left me and come to warrior 1 yoga posture.
- Make sure your right ankle is just below your right knees and your left foot is away from the right foot.
- From here come to Warrior 2.
This posture strengthens and stretches the thighs, calves, and ankles and is considered therapeutic for Sciatica.
- From Warrior I come to Warrior Ii
- The left foot is parallel to the shorter edge of the mat..and the right toes facing forward, in heel-arch alignment.
- 90-degree angle bend in your front leg (bringing the front thigh parallel with the floor),
- stretches your hips, groins, and shoulders.
- Open your chest and lungs.
- Energizes tired limbs.
- Stimulates your abdominal organs.
- Develops balance and stability.
- Improves circulation and respiration.
- Facilitates healing of carpal tunnel syndrome, infertility, sciatica, osteoporosis, and flattened feet.
- Builds stamina and concentration
- Bend your left knee, arch your left leg, and come to Goddess Pose.
- Heels-In and toes-out
- Make some gentle bounces.
- This action is to make your legs, thighs, and ankles strong and flexible.
With a regular practice of Goddess Pose you will never have knee pain.
- Cartwheel your hands and come to download facing dog pose.
- Once again raise your right foot and sweep through your hands to place your right ankle behind your left palm.
- The left leg is out facing the back of the mat.
- Open your chest buffet like a proud pigeon 🐦 in Pigeon Pose.
- Feel stretch in right hips flexure.
- Slightly bend the elbows, lean forward, you have the option to rest your forehead on the second height of the yoga block.
- Feel the stretch in the left hip flexor.
- Take a deep breath
Push the ground, lift your right leg to downwards facing dog pose.
Repeat Warrior 1 Warrior 2 and pigeon pose on the left side.
Pigeon Pose stretches the abductors of the front leg, the IT band, the quads and hip flexors, the shin and the top of the foot of the back leg. This is one of the best yoga poses to alleviate your leg pain.
- Come to a seated position
- Bend your knees, join both the soles and hold your toes with your fingers.
- With a deep inhale, Set up motions like a Butterfly.
- Keep breathing.
Seated meditation anulom vilom
- Come to a comfortable seated position.
- With your right hands’ thumb, close your right nostril.
- Inhale deeply yet slowly from your left nostril.
- Use your ring finger and ladyfinger to close your left nostril, release your right thumb to exhale from the right nostril.
- Continue like this.
- Keep your inhalations and exhalations equal.
- You may inhale up to count 4 then exhale to count 4.
- When you inhale from your left nostril you calm and activate the right hemisphere of the brain.
- When you inhale from the right nostril, you activate the left hemisphere of your brain.
New research suggests that moving your legs is crucial for brain health. Exercising leg muscles helps the brain to produce new neurons.
And vice versa is also true. So rejuvenating your brain has a positive effect on your legs and other body parts too.
Don’t forget to have Savasana and rest completely for at least 10 minutes.
Wrapping Up- Yoga Sequence For Strong Legs And Knees
Thanks for reading these lines:)
Doing above yoga poses, may be especially helpful for improving balance, stability, strength, and flexibility in your quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calf muscles. Some poses may also help ease leg pain caused by standing and day long exertion.
Don’t forget to watch the video on YouTube, which is on the same topic- yoga sequence for strong legs and knees.
Please subscribe to my channel to support the free and fabulous yoga on YouTube!
Thanks, for being with me on your yoga mat Namaste Yogis
Most Popular Reads
Kundalini Yoga Kriyas For Weight Loss
Kundalini Pranayam For Stress-Relief And Insomnia
10 Yoga Poses To Balance Your Solar Plexus Chakra
How to use yoga blocks for back pain and stress relief
What does your favourite colour predicts about you